LBMT is looking for a committed choreographer, music director, producer, and community manager to join the production team of Chicago, which will run for four performances from October 27-29, 2023. Additional details about the show can be found below and also on our Season Five webpage. A complete list of the responsibilities for each production team position can be found below. Join us to strengthen your craft and skills in a fun, safe, and supportive environment! To apply, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the following:
- Provide your theatrical résumé.
- Identify which position(s) interests you.
- Explain why you want to be involved in Chicago.
- Explain why LBMT should choose you.
- Provide details of your experience with working on a production team (include details of communications with production team and cast members, creation of rehearsal schedules, the process you use to implement your artistic vision…).
- Provide us with any additional details you feel we should know.
Date and Location
October 27-29, 2023
Arts Court Theatre (2 Daly Avenue)
Evening Shows at 8:00pm | Doors at 7:30
Afternoon Shows at 2:00pm | Doors at 1:30
In roaring twenties Chicago, chorine Roxie Hart murders a faithless lover and convinces her hapless husband, Amos, to take the rap…until he finds out he’s been duped and turns on Roxie. Convicted and sent to death row, Roxie and another “Merry Murderess,” Velma Kelly, vie for the spotlight and the headlines, ultimately joining forces in search of the “American Dream”: fame, fortune, and acquittal. This sharp-edged satire features a dazzling score that sparked immortal staging by Bob Fosse.
Chicago first opened on Broadway at the 46th Street Theatre in New York City on June 3, 1975. The production, directed and choreographed by Bob Fosse, ran for 936 performances. On Nov 14, 1996, a revival of the show opened on Broadway at the Richard Rodgers Theatre. It latered transferred to Shubert Theatre, and then to the Ambassador Theatre, where, more than two decades later, it continues to run, logging nearly 10,000 performances.
Production Team Positions
- Develops ideas and creates and develops routines to produce a well-polished performance.
- Represents the Artistic Director on all choreographic matters and decisions for the production, including running choreography rehearsals, selecting numbers and running choreography portions of auditions, and assisting the director with casting decisions.
- Discusses ideas and plans with producers, costume designers, and musical and artistic directors.
- Auditions, teaches, and rehearses dancers.
- May designate Assistant Choreographers and delegate any portion of these responsibilities as appropriate.
Music Director Responsibilities
- Oversees all musical aspects of the show.
- Represents the Artistic Director on all musical matters and decisions for the production, including running vocal and band rehearsals, selecting songs and running the musical portions of auditions, assisting the director with casting decisions, and working with technical crew on sound, microphones, balance, etc.
- Accompanies auditions.
- Helps recruit musicians and band members for the show.
- Runs music rehearsals as director and accompanist (assign parts, teach music, provide harmony splits…).
- Prepares and conducts the band during the show run.
- May designate Assistant Musical Directors and delegate any portion of these responsibilities as appropriate.
- Develops budget (approval by board) for entire production, including at least the following categories: performance fees, theater rent, theater labor, publicity, programs, music, costumes, set construction supplies and construction expenses, fundraising expenses.
- Secures rights to production selected by board of directors and ensures all involved in production are made aware of those rights.
- Develops and maintains overall production schedules.
- Arranges rehearsal space, audition space, production meetings.
- May designate Assistant Producers and delegate any portion of these responsibilities as appropriate.
- Secures performance space for production.
Community Manager Responsibilities
- Ensures that LBMT’s values of inclusion, equity, and respect are being implemented within the show’s rehearsals and processes.
- Organizes cast outings, socials, and events.
- Takes rehearsal photographs and videos to be used in promotions.
- Aids in preparing socials media posts for all of LBMT’s platforms, including Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, and Twitter.
- Researches and coordinates publicity opportunities with local media, including radio stations, television stations, online forums, and community groups.
Please Note: These are volunteer positions.